Friday, June 29, 2018

L.A., day one

I'm in L.A. for an extended weekend to catch Saturday night's LAFC match against the Philly Union. Thought I would create a travel log.

It's currently 8:51 PM on Thursday, June 28th. I got up this morning at 3 AM. The scheduled cab picked me up at 4 AM. The driver was a retired Verizon worker, who knew my uncle. Small city.

I got down at the airport a little after 4:30 AM. The TSA line stretched back at least 300 years — no lie. But it moved quickly. You didn't have to take off your shoes or remove laptops from bags.

Surprisingly, the flight took off on-time at 6:36 AM. I thought it was going to be delayed because the weather predicted isolated thunderstorms. I got stuck in the back row between two antisocial birds, so I couldn't really sleep (I need a window seat to nap). Don't think I'll be taking Alaska Airlines again. They didn't serve any snacks on the five-hour flight, only a beverage. And odd how my Expedia account is set up for a window seat but I had to get a seat assignment at the gate.

At LAX, I was gonna take public transportation because it was about 9:30 AM and check-in for my lodgings wasn't until the afternoon, but Google Maps said it was going to take at least 90 minutes, so I checked a website and it said a cab was going to cost at least $50. I already spent $55 (with tip) for the cab to the PHL airport, so I finally downloaded the Uber app. The Asian immigrant who drove me was really cool. Only cost me $27 and change . . . I gave him a tip so it was $30. He drives his Prius on the side. His day job for the past 12 years is being a cashier at a coffee shop. He has a kid and wants to move to a less expensive city. I, of course, promoted Philly.

I got to the motel around 11 AM after a half-hour-plus ride. My room wasn't ready (I had called at the airport), so I went down to a deli a couple blocks away. I had stayed at this same motel back in 2015. I got a BLT, Dorito's, and a Pepsi in a bottle. It was awesome! I hadn't eaten in about 12 hours when I had a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios after I had gotten up at 3 AM ET.

Around 12:15 PM, my room was ready. However, I messed up and didn't call my credit card company when back in Philly, so my MasterCard was declined. I had to call them to get it straightened out, and it caused problems for most of the afternoon. I was a little embarrassed, cuz the lady at the motel, Julia is nice.

From about 12:30 PM to 2:45 PM I napped. Fortunately it wasn't a deep sleep, which could have resulted in me sleeping until evening. There's construction next door. They were going crazy with a staple gun.

After my nap I wandered up and down the street I'm staying on, Wilshire Boulevard, here in West L.A., looking for a place to eat dinner. I also hit a supermarket to buy Werther's caramel candies, mints, tissue packs, Fuji water, and a TAP card for public transit — $27 for a weekly pass . . . think I'll take the buses when I fly home on Monday cuz I need to check out by 11 AM, and my flight doesn't take off until after 9 PM. I'll have all the time in the world.

For dinner I settled on a Chinese restaurant across the street. I got scallops and asparagus with a side order of white rice. All the major food groups! It was a real treat. I haven't had scallops in ages, and the asparaguses were cut up in about three-inch bits, including the white ends, not just the tips. They didn't have any hot tea, so I got Thai tea.


This picture doesn't really capture the color. It looked like orange paint. Those little black things at the bottom are Bobas. I didn't consume them. They went up the straw but were a bit much. The tea was actually interesting. It was a little sweet and you could taste the tea, however, it had a chalking aftertaste, like with a milkshake.

After dinner I hung out in my motel room, taking care of credit card debacle on the phone, bought a ticket for a punk rock show tomorrow at the Viper Room, and read a little. Around 8 PM I went next door to CVS and got a Ben & Jerry's Cookie Dough Ice Cream cup.

It's now a little before 9:30 PM. Gonna hit the hay soon. . . .

No comments: