Saturday, June 18, 2022

HOW HIGH WE GO IN THE DARK by Sequoia Nagamatsu

I gave this novel two-and-a-half stars out of five. I italicize novel because it's more of short story collection. For the most part, characters only appear in one chapter. The story looks at humanity during and after a plague. The author has an excellent imagination on how society might deal with a disease that wipes out a great number of people. However, I get the sense that he  wanted it to be melancholic, but I found most of the stories depressing. BTW: if you want to read true melancholy, check out Olaf Olafsson's The Sacrament.

One cool thing about How High We Go in the Dark is that a lot of the characters are Asian, with many being Japanese. Nice to learn a little about a different culture.

Oh, and some chapters were pretty touching, like the one with the pig. That pig was more memorable that some bestselling novels I've read.

No comments: