Friday, April 13, 2018

Berlin Is Never Boring (Even When I Am)

Got up this morning and did the croissant and OJ for breakfast again. Maybe tomorrow I'll splurge and do the hotel's breakfast for €15.

Around 10:30 AM or so I headed to the Reichstag (a.k.a. Der Bundestag), which is about a 10-minute walk from the hotel.



I didn't go in because I wasn't in the mood for a security check, but here's the dome:



And here's the German flag:



Nearby is the Brandenburger Tor (Brandenburg Gate):



Here's a close-up of the chariot:



For lunch I picked up around the corner from the hotel some currywurst and washed it down with a bottle of Coke.

In the afternoon I had to hit the laundromat again. Since Munich I've been changing my clothes once a day, compared to last week when I was wearing 'em two days. Too much information? Anyway, I was talking with a nice Baby Boomer couple at the laundromat in East Berlin. They just got off a cruise, and are from northern California.

For dinner my travel book gave its highest rating, three stars, to an Italian restaurant in West Berlin. I wanted to eat on the western side of the city, since I've been spending so much time on the Ost (Eastern) half. It took close to a half-hour to get out there. I think it was in the Westend neighborhood. Sad day for me: the restaurant was closed. Temporarily or permanently, I couldn't tell, though all the shades were pulled down.

Heading back to the train station, I found this apartment building humorous. Boy, do they love their satellite TV!



I took the train past the main train station and got off at the Hackescher Market stop. I was there yesterday when I went to the DDR Museum -- there were a lot of food joints there. I eventually settled on an Italian restaurant. They didn't have my first choice, raviolis, so I went with vegetable lasagna and washed it down with green tea. The lasagna wasn't as good as the one in Munich, but I still devoured it all.

Big day tomorrow. I get to catch some football!

P.S. every hotel I've stayed in has this tube in the shower and near the sink where you squeeze it for the soap. Europe is off the chain!!!



No comments: