Saturday, April 14, 2018

Bye-bye, Berlin

So this morning, around 10, I headed to East Berlin to three bookstores for Robert B. Parker's German translation of Hundred Dollar Baby, though it was actually four bookstores because the first one recommended I hit another bookstore a couple blocks away. Not surprisingly, none of the stores had it. Germany's interesting in that used bookstores seem to be English only, while stores with German books are strictly new and post.

Anyway, before I hopped on the first train, I took this pic at the main train station -- the one near my hotel:


For lunch I picked up an Italian wrap at the train station in that pic and chased it down with some Lemon Lipton iced tea.

Around 2 PM I left for the soccer game. My seat was better than the one in Dortmund. I was in the fourth row at midfield.


And here's a pic of Berlin's supporters, to my left:


The game was cool. Berlin won 2-1.

I took this as I was leaving (the stadium was where the 1936 olympics took place):


For dinner I wanted some Wiener schnitzel my last night here. My travel guide recommended Jolesch in East Berlin's Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg neighborhood, which seemed like a working class neighborhood and, according to Wikipedia, is where a lot of immigrants wind up.

The schnitzel was good. They gave me two big pieces of it. I drank it with Earl Grey tea.

Reason for the brevity of this blog post? It's 9:30 PM. I need to get some sleep. My alarm's set for 5 AM so I can make my 9:40 AM flight.

No comments: