Thursday, February 18, 2021

Old Order

As I was trying to read War last weekend, New Order's "Shellshock" popped in my mind, so I read on Wikipedia that their "Thieves Like Us", an instrumental, was also in the film Pretty in Pink, but not on the soundtrack. Then I listened on YouTube to the 17-minute version of their "Elegia", and after reading about their discography on AllMusic, I picked up Power Corruption and Lies and Low-Life. Can't believe I didn't buy them as a teenager or in my twenties! I was always a passive fan of them growing up. Haven't listened to Low-Life yet, but I've listened to Power Corruption and Lies twice. Sounds like The Cure's Disintegration owes a debt to it. What I like about Power Corruption and Lies is it's not really a pop album with standout singles on it but a work of art where you need to listen to it in one sitting.

No comments: