Wednesday, August 4, 2021

BIG BLUE SKY by Peter Garrett

One minor downside to the pandemic is that it takes me forever to finish audiobooks, since I used to mainly listen to them during my commute to and from work. Took me about three months to get through Peter Garrett's memoir/autobiography, though, things started to slow down for me when he got to his political career — partly because I'm not too familiar with Aussie politics, and also because I don't respect Garrett for sidestepping out of his activist role to be part of major political party. What's the axiom, those attracted to power are either mediocre or venal?

Not surprising, I was more interested in the chapters about Midnight Oil, and even though he devoted a decent portion to them, he seemed more detailed on his political career. My sense is politics is his passion and music a distant second.

Anyway, I gave it three out of five stars. Glad I listened to it, but could've used an editor to tighten things up.



No comments: