Sunday, August 15, 2021

Sons and Fascination/Sister Feelings Call: Simple Minds

I listened to Simple Minds' fourth album five times and got a good handle on it. Out of the 15 tracks, I kept 6:

  • "Sweat in Bullet"*
  • "70 Cities as Love Brings the Fall"
  • "Theme for Great Cities"*
  • "The American"*
  • "League of Nations"
  • "Sound in 70 Cities"

The three songs with asterisks I was already familiar with because they're on The Best Of Simple Minds comp. "70 Cities as Love Brings the Fall" and "Sound in 70 Cities" are cool because of that sound running throughout that reminds me of a cow mooing; "League of Nations" is weird in the best of ways. Most of the songs on this double album just didn't do it for me. I found the slapping of the bass to be overdone. Of course, following up Empires and Dance with an equally excellent album was an almost impossible task.

No comments: