Thursday, May 26, 2022

TRUE STORY: WHAT REALITY TV SAYS ABOUT US by Danielle J. Lindemann

Well, that's two books that turned out to be duds after listening to interviews with the authors on the Majority Report podcast (at least with Looking for the Good War, it got me interested in George Washington, so I picked up Ron Chernow's biography last night at Barnes & Noble).

I give True Story two out of five stars. I'm not a fan of reality TV, so I was hoping the author would shit on that waste of entertainment, but she's actually a fan. Though the book isn't all bad. She brings up Karl Marx several times, which in my mind is always a plus. And she did bring up a few examples of how reality TV is a mirror of our society; for example, The Bachelor's contestants are mostly white and straight.

Like a lot of nonfiction, True Story would have made a better magazine article than a book.

No comments: