Friday, May 28, 2021

THE DROUGHT by J. G. Ballard

Finished this novel last night. I give it three out of five stars. Not as good as The Drowned World, which I loved and will reread one day. I had trouble following a lot of what was going on The Drought, partly because of Ballard's high-brow prose. Thankfully this Brit explained things, particularly that The Drought specialized in surrealism.

I've read several Ballard books:

  • The Drowned World (1962)
  • The Drought (1964)
  • Concrete Island (1974)
  • High Rise (1975)

Soon I'll pick up his autobiography, Miracles of Life, because I would like to read about his two years in a Japanese internment camp, rather than reading the fictionalizing of it in his Empire of the Sun. And I saw Crash years ago; think I'll listen to the audiobook.



No comments: