Saturday, November 13, 2021

Silence Is a Dangerous Sound: A Tribute to Fugazi

Took a while for me to get through this comp. I bought it back on Sept. 30 and didn't listen to it for the fifth time until the other night (I had been listening to it only when exercising). I'm keeping 7 out of the 44 tracks. Main reason is that Fugazi's versions in a lot of instances are better than the covers. Still, I don't regret buying it. The 7 tracks I'm keeping got a good flow. Here's what I'm keeping:

1. "Bad Mouth" by Authority Zero: Standard cover but a rocking way to kick the comp off.

3. "KYEO" by Dowsing: Love Fugazi's version but I bought two of Dowsing's albums, so I have to keep this song

8. "Target" by Batteries: I own almost everything by this bis side project. This rendition is traditional with Batteries' unique twist on it.

18. "Runaway Return" by Chamberlain: I didn't care for this song when I heard it on Fugazi's Steady Diet of Nothing, but Chamberlain make that riff stick in my head like an unforgettable jingle.

21. "Brendan #1" by Seas, Starry: They rework this instrumental where it sounds almost nothing like the original. That's a good thing.

33. "Suggestion" by Jonah Matranga: Pretty cool mellow, electronic rendition of this crowd favorite from Fugazi's 13 Songs.

44. "Arpeggiator" by Ripcord Records: Nice electronic cover of this instrumental. Glad I downloaded the album when I bought it the day it came out. Looks like they've since taken that song down.

No comments: