Sunday, December 5, 2021

Oak Ridge Boys

Back when I was 12 or 13, I dug the Oak Ridge Boys' "Elvira", so for my birthday I asked for one of their albums. My Aunt Maryann got me, I believe, The Best Of The Oak Ridge Boys. I remember being completely disappointed. Even though I was still a good Catholic boy, I couldn't believe the quartet I heard on the radio and probably saw on Solid Gold was a gospel group.

Anyway, I've been reading Cassandra Peterson's memoir, Yours Cruelly, Elvira, so the Oak Ridge Boys' "Elvira" has been on my mind, therefore I picked up one their greatest hits, 20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection. It covers their golden period, from the late '70s to the mid-'80s. Pretty good. I was going to very selective but decided to keep all but the last track (had no heart) because I'll probably never buy anything else by them. Fortunately, there are no gospel tracks on there.

No comments: