Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Dropkick Murphys: THE WARRIOR CODE

John Williams and Howard Shore are my favorite film composers. I noticed the latter did the score for The Departed, and the Dropkick Murphys had a song in that Martin Scorsese flick. "I'm Shipping Up to Boston" is really catchy. I was hesitant to pick up the album it's on, The Warrior Code, because I only like the first 2 tracks on their debut album, Do or Die ("Cadence to Arms" and "Do or Die"), and I only kept 4 of the 12 songs on Signed and Sealed in Blood ("The Boys Are Back", "Prisoner's Song", "The Season's Upon Us", and "Don't Tear Us Apart").

It's good to be wrong!

The Warrior Code is amazing. Out of 14 songs I'm keeping 11 (dissing the two traditional Irish songs and "Tessie", the last one is so tacky). But those other 11 songs are addictive. More punk than the hokey Celtic chords the Murphy's are famous for. Too bad my iPod won't let me play "Wicked Sensitive Crew" or "I'm Shipping Up to Boston" because "This song is not currently available in your country or region." Kinda cool in a way — forces me to listen to one of the more than dozen audiobooks on my Audible account. I can still blare the 29 minutes of Celtic punk rock when working out!

No comments: