Saturday, January 29, 2022

THE ANOMALY by Hervé Le Tellier

Nice to read a novel that lives up to the hype. I give it 4.5 stars out of 5.

* * * SEMI-SPOILERS BELOW * * *

I liked how it didn't explain why the plane duplicated. Sure, there were theories but Le Tellier didn't pull back the curtain. A little mystery is good. No need to explain every little thing.

I enjoyed how the book is more about the characters than the sci-fi concept. The characters were quite life-like. I especially related to the 50- or 60-year-old architect whose heart gets broken by a woman half his age. On dating apps I find myself gravitating towards women in their 30s.

Last night I was reading The Anomaly reviews on The New York Times, The Washington Post, and The Guardian. I think it was in the last one that pointed out that in the first chapter we're introduced to a hit hitman who leads a double life. When reading the book I didn't realize that foreshadowing. In hindsight, it's fucking genius!

Another thing I liked was the chapter on Stephen Colbert. I thought Le Tellier did a good job of mimicking the late-night chat host.

Oh, and it was nice touch how the event happened in China too but they kept it under wraps with only France knowing (not the U.S.), and the portrayal of Trump was good — while I'm not fan of the man with small hands, I liked how Le Tellier portrayed him as not a total buffoon.


Achieving success at age fifty is a little like finally being served the mustard when you're on to dessert. . . .
p. 91

Tired people are argumentative. Exhausted people a lot less so.

p. 189

The devil comes in into a lawyer's office and says, "Hello, I'm the devil. I have a deal for you." "I'm listening," says the lawyer. "I'm going to make you the richest lawyer in the world. In exchange, will you give me your soul, your parents' souls, your children's souls, and the souls of your five best friends?" The lawyer looks at him in amazement and says, "Okay. What's the catch?"

p.206

No comments: