Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Cheese

Been meaning to do this for a while, so last week I created a Cheese playlist: 1980s one-hit wonders. Below are songs that didn't make the cut, followed by the 100 songs on the playlist. I tried to stay between 1981 and 1987 because that's what really defined the decade, and my playlist is mostly U.S.-based, though I did include Ultravox's "Vienna" because it's such a great song. When I think of Biz Markie and Rob Base, that's more like 1990. And I didn't include The McKenzie Brothers' "Take Off" because I don't consider that a one-hit wonder, since they also had "The Twelve Days of Christmas".

  • Altered Images: “Happy Birthday”
  • Artists United Against Apartheid: “Sun City”
  • Associates: “Breakfast”
  • Rob Base: “It Takes Two”
  • Big Country: “In a Big Country”
  • Biz Markie: “Just a Friend”
  • Book of Love: “Boy”
  • Boomtown Rats: “I Don't Like Mondays”
  • Cult: “Sanctuary”
  • Doctor And The Medics: “Spirit in the Sky
  • De La Soul: “Me Myself & I”
  • Flying Lizards: “Money”
  • Frankie Goes To Hollywood: “Relax”
  • Herbie Hancock: “Rockit”
  • Kidd Video: “You Better Run”
  • Love And Rockets: “So Alive”
  • M/A/R/R/S: “Pump Up the Volume”
  • Meco: “Ewok Celebration”
  • Mr. Mister: “Is It Love?”
  • John Parr: “Naughty Naughty”
  • Rush: “Distant Early Warning”
  • Spandau Ballet: “True
  • Sundays: “Here's Where the Story Ends”
  • XTC: “Dear God”
  • Paul Young: “I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down”



No comments: