Thursday, April 14, 2022

Killing Eve

Finished watching the fourth season on Monday night. I had expected to only watch the penultimate episode because I purchased the season on Amazon and they made an episode available one week after it aired; however, the last two episodes (7 & 8) were available Sunday night around midnight.

I don't regret buying the season, but I'm glad it's over. Show got progressively worse with each season. I was reading reviews of the last episode on Variety and The Guardian, and one writer mentioned that the first season's showrunner, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, wrote the show into a corner at the end of the first season. I think that writer was right. Plus, it didn't help having a different showrunner each season . . . what kind of continuity is that? They probably should have ended it after the second or third season.

The series really lost its way. What made it alluring was that Villanelle was an antihero you were repulsed by, but still sympathized with in some sick way. Of course, that may be an unreliable observation because actress Jodie Comer is so beautiful.

I will give props for not showing the face of the members of The Twelve that Villanelle kills near the end of the series. I dunno, kinda of a bummer when creators have a gift like this series and just go off in unentertaining directions.

No comments: