Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Sarah' Silverman's THE BEDWETTER: STORIES OF COURAGE, REDEMPTION, AND PEE

Finished listening to this audiobook Sunday. I got through a good portion of it on Saturday because I was pretty depressed. I think it had something to do with having five days off (Labor Day weekend plus Tues. & Wed.). All that free time made me realize what a loser I am. Probably will die alone, don't really have any friends, drank away what little writing talent I had, etc.

Anyway, I give it 3 out of 5 stars. Bedwetter is much better than Wanda Sykes' book or Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, and Drew Carey's books, where they just repackaged their standup. I zoned out a little when she went into detail on her TV show. I had seen one episode and wasn't entertained. She seems to hold that project in high regard.

Sidebar: while I find Silverman funny, there does seem to be something desperate about her comedy. She's hysterical, but there's nothing admirable when you're constantly aiming for the lowest common denominator. Hell, that was my jam back in the day, but I wasn't a professional comedian, just a lonely Gen X'er looking for friends instead of having people roll their eyes at me or just avoid me altogether.



No comments: