Tuesday, September 7, 2021

SICK SESH!: Teenage Bottlerocket

It's been over 10 years since I've picked up a Teenage Bottlerocket (TBR) album, 2009's excellent They Came from the Shadows, so I thought I would check out their latest, Sick Sesh!. Gotta give it an overwhelming meh. Out of 12 tracks, I'm keeping 5:

  • "You're Never Going Out of Style" (digging the synthesizer)
  • "Ghost Story" (whatta single!)
  • "Strung Out on Stress"
  • "Hello Dana" (nice love song)
  • "Gorilla Warfare"

The other 7 tracks are your typical derivative Ramones / Screeching Weasel punk rock. I still can't believe they actually put on there a song called "Squirrel". There's no subtext to it. Christ, guys, save it for a B-side.

Needless to say, I probably have enough TBR in my record collection. I'll still keep songs on the occasional comp, but I doubt I'll buy anymore of the albums.



No comments: