Thursday, September 23, 2021

Tullycraft's THE RAILWAY PRINCE HOTEL

Back in June of last year, I picked up a bunch of Tullycraft's latest releases. I only kept three songs off Lost in Light Rotation and didn't keep any songs off the Touch Me, I'm Sick (over you) EP, so I've been procrastinating in giving their most recent release, The Railway Prince Hotel, a shot. Wow, what a mistake, it's one of their best albums! Up there with Old Traditions, New Standards and Disenchanted Hearts Unite.

Railway Prince is Tullycraft's first album without drummer Jeff Fell, and like The Church's man woman life death infinity, which didn't feature guitarist Marty Willson-Piper, maybe new personnel can reinvigorate the creative process. According to Wikipedia, Tullycraft is a four-piece now, with the drummer not being a full-fledged member. Also, I noticed that Sean Tollefson doesn't play bass this time around. Maybe those changes partly make The Railway Prince Hotel such a great album. Plus, Tollefson is penning some of the best lyrics of his career.

Out of the 12 tracks, I may remove two, “Goldie and the Gingerbreads” and “Beginners at Best”.

What's weird: Last year, when I listened to the "Passing Observations" single, I wasn't too impressed, but I like it now. Amazing how it's all about the sequencing.

Maybe the band should call it quits. Nothing like going out on a high note.


No comments: