Friday, March 18, 2022

Hoodoo Gurus: CHARIOT OF THE GODS

I was originally going to keep 6 or 7 of the 14 tracks on the Hoodoo Gurus' first album in over 10 years:

  • "Early Opener"
  • "Get Out of Dodge"
  • "Equinox"
  • "I Came from Your Future"
  • "Don't Try to Save My Soul" (maybe remove this track)
  • "Got to Get You Out of My Life"

But now I'm thinking about keeping all of the songs 'cause "Hang with the Girls" is in my head and I like the beginning of "World of Pain". I dunno, at first I thought the album sounded more like their side project, Persian Rugs, than a Gurus album (more straight up '60s than modern rock tinged with that Beatles decade). I guess going in, I was thinking about their previous album, 2010's Purity of Essence — I was so hungry for new songs by them, similar to when Metric's Fantasies came out, that I wasn't objective. Hmm, maybe I'm being too close-minded. After all, they're probably all in their 60s. This might be the last album they ever put out.

No comments: