Friday, March 4, 2022

ROAD OF BONES by Christopher Golden

Silly reader, modern horror is not entertaining. When will I learn to stop picking up horror novels? Can't believe I used to love the genre in the '80s. I give this novel 2.5 stars outta 5. A little better than Paul Tremblay's Survivor Song, though not much.

Part of the reason I didn't enjoy Road of Bones is because I started reading it at the start of Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Hard to read about fictional horror when real life is much more heart-breaking.

I'm not a fan of reality television, so the hero of the novel, a failed producer, already had two strikes against him. Also, Bruce Springsteen's music was featured prominently . . . not a fan.

On the plus side, great cover to the hardcover edition, and it's a quick read at under 250 pages, which is why I powered through and finished it. And the novel gave me an excuse to play in the background bis' Low Level (especially "Check My Bones"), Carpenter Brut's TRILOGY, the Poltergeist TV show soundtrack, and the Descent movie score.

No comments: