Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Shelleyan Orphan

I was listening to The Cure playing in Philadelphia in 1989 (I'm pretty sure I was at that show in August, though they did return a month later) and I saw somewhere online that Shelleyan Orphan was the opener. I purchased from Apple, because Amazon doesn't sell it, the album they promoted on that tour, Century Flower. An interesting listen. Fascinating to hear what Robert Smith loved at that time. It reminds me of folky, psychedelic music of the late 80s inspired by the 60s, like The Triffids.

At the moment I'm keeping 5 of the 10 tracks: "Shatter", "Timeblind", "Century Flower", the instrumental "Amanita Muscaria", and "A Few Small Hours". I may remove the title track from my iTunes; I dunno, I like how it ends with the notes on a horn instrument (maybe a clarinet?) but the rest of the song doesn't catch my ear.

Glad I picked up Century Flower, however, I won't be buying anything else by them — sort of like most authors I read.

No comments: