Friday, August 23, 2019

Toronto, day 1

So, Thursday I got up at 4:30 AM. I took the bus and train to the airport. Pretty cool, only cost $8.75. Take that, Uber!

I got at my gate in plenty of time. My flight took on time at 9:30 AM. We were only up in the air for a little over an hour. It touched down around 11 AM.

I took my time getting to the hotel because official check-in time was 3 PM. Unlike in the spring, when I was in Mälmo, Sweden, I made it to the hotel without getting crazy lost. They were cool to let me check in around 12:30 PM and upgraded me to a king suite with premium internet (both complimentary).

After dropping off my things in my sweet suite, I withdrew some cash from Scotia Bank and hit a bookstore for the Kids In The Hall biography. It wasn't on the shelf, so the clerk took the elevator to the basement.

For lunch I went across to some burger joint across the street. Got their Crafty burger, which had their special garlic mayo and more mushrooms than you could shake a leprechaun at. It was delicious!

From about 3 PM to 5:30 PM, I took a nap, probably going into a deep sleep for at least 30 minutes. Despite the food, I was really tired. I went to bed last night at 10:30, and for the six hours I laid there, I didn't really sleep that well (didn't want to miss my flight).

For dinner I walked several blocks to a seafood joint called Pearl Diver and ordered fish and chips. If has heavenly! Don't think I've eaten it since vacationing in Glasgow, Scotland all those years ago. If memory serves, the fish at Pearl Diver was haddock.

Thought this was pretty cool. Saw it Pearl Diver while waiting to be seated.

For the rest of the night, I just hung out the hotel. I was gonna check out Metric and some charity event, but a ticket was CA$90. Even though the exchange rate is good (CA$1 = US$.75), it looked like a ticket for Saturday night's Toronto FC match was going to be over $100 CA, so I thought I'd spend the mucho mullah on that, since that's the centerpiece of my trip. Plus, I'm pretty sure the Metric show was sold out because they had tweeted on Wednesday that only 150 tix were left.

Some sort of Space Needle I saw while wandering around, looking for ice cream.

No comments: