Sunday, August 25, 2019

Toronto, day 3

On Saturday I ambled across the street to Tim Horton's. Been hungering for a cinnamon roll lately, so I picked one up and a bottle of OJ.

The rest of the morning I hung out at the hotel. Read the newspaper, showered and shaved, and wrote on this blog.

For lunch I walked around the neighborhood but nothing was really open because this is the Financial District and they're only in business on weekdays. So back at the hotel I ordered room service. Got mushroom ravioli with sautéed kale, tarragon vermouth cream, and roasted butternut squash. It was awesome!

The rest of the afternoon I just hung out at the hotel, reading the book I brought up from the Philly library, The Five by Hallie Rubenhold and a little of that Kids In The Hall bio I bought my first day here.

Around 4 PM, the hotel dropped off a bowl of fruit because I'm staying here five nights. I wonder if part of the reason they did it is because I paid $40 CA for a $32CA lunch.

Around 5:45 PM I hit the road for the Toronto FC match. The light rail was pretty packed, though I got a seat for the 25-minute ride.

That little festival was still going on. It was a pain in the ass getting in because my ticket at the stadium was Will Call. I had to pay to get into the grounds, then I got reimbursed once I picked up my ticket.

I was in a sour mood at the game because the ticket cost me $159CA. And it wasn't even a good seat. I was on the second level and people kept marching in 35 minutes into the first match, blocking my view. I think I just may have gone to my last MLS match. The tickets keep getting more and more expensive, and the quality on the field hasn't improved much since I started watching games in '13. How do you say: Cash grab?

The ride back to the hotel was horrendous. The light rail was jam-packed. I was starting to get a little claustrophobic about halfway through, but held out. Reminded me of working in San Francisco and going home at 11 PM, squeezing into a BART train with all the Giants clowns.

In hindsight, I should have booked my return flight for Monday instead of Tuesday. Toronto is as I feared: not a nice place to visit. Too expensive and not any worthwhile tourist sights. I can see why the rest of Canada hates Toronto. I miss Montreal!

No comments: