Saturday, August 24, 2019

Toronto, day 2

All right, on Friday morning I slept in until 7:30 after going to bed at 11 PM. I did breakfast at the hotel. Instead of the $30CA buffet, I just ordered five sausage links and a small glass of OJ for about $14CA.

Around mid-morning I headed to Union Station, which is where I got off yesterday. I bought nine tokens and hopped on a light rail to BMO Field, where Toronto FC play. It was a bit of pain making my way to the box office because there was some sort of underwhelming festival going on. In order to reach the box office, you had to pay to enter the festival. Luckily I spoke with a manager and they let me buy an "Exelunch" ticket for $20 and I got reimbursed when I left. It was all for naught, unfortunately. The box office is only open on event days. Oh well, at least I'll know how to get there on Saturday.

At Union Station I saw this, which is made up of little Lego stormtroopers.

Outside the Hockey Hall of Fame, a few blocks from my hotel, the Omni.
For lunch I hit some joint around the corner from the hotel. I got a Firecracker: corn, green peppers, artichokes, spinach, jalapeƱo, green onion & cheddar on onion rye bread. They warm it for ya. I chased it with, I'm assuming, freshly squeezed lemonade. Awesome!

In the afternoon I just hung out at the hotel. I was gonna visit Chinatown, but I'll do that tomorrow.

For dinner, I hit a Mexican place a block or two from the hotel. Quesada was more fast food than authentic Mexican, but it did the trick. I got a regular chicken burrito. Regular is about half the size of a Qdoba burrito. I ate it in my hotel room while watching the news. Apparently, Toronto has a high murder rate.

Around 6:30 PM I headed for Second City. It's less than a mile from the hotel, but I have a pocketful full of bus tokens, so no big whoop.

The two-hour show was awesome! It started at 7:30 and had about a 10-minute intermission. I think the first half was time-tested and the second half was improv'd and works in progress. Obviously, the first half was the stronger of the two. They crapped on the U.S. a fair amount with one joke going something like "We're far from perfect, but at least we're not a complete mess like down there."

My seat on the top balcony at Second City before the start of the show.

One funny scene had a guy being interviewed for Canadian. One question was to describe the CFL, and the interviewee replied, "What's that?", which was the correct answer.

Another funny skit was about the Climate Crisis and two performers on the stage, with one blowing into a blue balloon, which symbolized Earth. After every line they would say, "Do you see?" Eventually, the guy holding the balloon walked into the audience, and one of the other performers appeared on the top balcony, where I sat, holding a blue balloon. The gag being that the balloon could burst at any moment. It was a lot funnier in person, trust me.

After the show let out, I got a vanilla cone at this place. Don't think a name like that would play in the States, a.k.a. Jesus Land.


I enjoyed the ice cream and walked back to the hotel.

No comments: