Friday, December 12, 2008

Midnight Oil: "Best of Both Worlds" (1984)

Of course, you knew I was eventually gonna post a song by these lefties. Still not sure what this song is about, but it's from an awesome album!

"Best of Both Worlds"







**************************************************************************************************************

On Friday, I got up a little after seven in the morning. For breakfast, I picked up from one of the local convenience stores a bowl of cereal, a small carton of milk and a bottle of OJ. Afterwards, I worked on my fiction.

Around mid-morning, I started shopping for Xmas gifts. I hopped on the tram to go about a half-mile down the road to High Street, but there were no souvenir shops down there.

I returned to the hotel. By this point, it was raining -- somewhere between a drizzle and a downpour, where you need an umbrella.

For lunch, I hit a local deli shop. I got a salami, cheese and tomato sandwich, which they heated up. It was good, but it set off a coughing jag, even though I'm feeling much better.

Around 1 p.m., I jumped on the 58 tram, which I picked up on Toorak, the road perpendicular to the hotel. In about 25 minutes, I reached downtown Melbourne. I got off at Swanson Street and Finders Lane. The rain was really coming down now, though still not a downpour.

The first souvenir shop I saw had almost everything I was looking for. To finish up my gift-buying, I went into Dymocks, Australia's answer to Barnes & Noble, which was only a block away from the souvenir shop.

After shopping, I didn't sightsee. It was raining too much, plus the streets were packed -- wonder what it's like when the sun's out.

I returned to the hotel around 4 in the afternoon. I fooled around online for an hour or so.

At 5:30 p.m., I went around the corner to Toorak. A block before the laundromat is an Indian restaurant called Little India. Because of the rain, I was their only customer; also, the owner told me the dinner crowd doesn't come in until 6:30 or so.

I ordered lamb and rice. It was amazing! Been a while since I ate curry. But the best part was the bread. It was great, I ordered a second basket!!! It wasn't like bread in the States. It was kind of flat, but had air pockets occasionally. Mmm, I'm salivating just thinking about it.

Next up was something I'd been meaning to do for almost a week: see that Australia movie starring Nicole Kidman. The movie didn't start till 8 p.m., but down here they don't let you in until a few minutes until show time, that way you have to sit through all the commercials and few previews. The movie didn't start until 8:20 p.m. or so.

I didn't stay for the whole flick. I left the theatre a little after nine o'clock. I thought it would've been better if one of the leads was Aborignal, maybe the Hugh Jackman character. Another reason I didn't stay was because it bummed me out how in the early- and mid-20th century the Australia goverment snatched Aborignal children to assimiliate them into white society. That just got me thinking how evil that colonialism is and the ills of European mode of thought with its obsession on private property and promotion of Christianity.

I went back to the hotel and watched a little Doctor Who (much more entertaining) before turning in.










I didn't take any interesting pictures today, so let's go back in time to a few days ago when I went to that zoo near the Blue Mountains. Here's me petting a sleeping koala.

No comments: